• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

Re: Ever meet a member of the Dead?

#27511 2 years, 10 months ago
well sort of in 2005 the dead played albany ny , bills son jason did a video and it was posted on their websight I saved the link , it featured our van and they interviewed my husband , our van was named further then , bobby and phil team up and the rest is history just saying , we saw john k in central park at john lennons memorial for the garden show ,,, it was very cool ,,,,
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
Mosaic Man
Junior Boarder

#27547 2 years, 10 months ago
Smiley from Texas wrote:
Mosaic Man wrote:
Met Phil a few times, such a charismatic guy... He went crazy when I showed him photos of a mosaic memorial me and my buddy Jim did dedicated to the old Fillmore East in NYC.. It features numerous logos of some of the famous bands that played there including the dead... Getting his praise and thanks made the project all worth it! Also recently met Weir and Barlow at the symphony and got the chance to thank them both for all the great music and memories.. Here a some pics..

Hey man i saw you at the VIP first fusion and recognized your pic you posted haha. Killer show or what man! I met bobby and Mickey that night in the VIP tent out back. You will prolly recognize me... I was wearing a big aztec pattenred mutiicolored jacket with tons of deadpatches all over.. ill post a pic in a second from first fusion

Whats up bro... yeah I remember seeing you there, sure was one hell of a show! We are truly lucky to have witnessed such a historical performance.
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder

#27552 2 years, 10 months ago
Yeah man it was unexplainable how special it felt and as every note was played you knew that history was being made and we where the first to witness it. and the only downfall was the locals shouting at us up front to not stand up and to sit down.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#27553 2 years, 10 months ago
I can't stand people that yell to sit down at shows....

If you want to watch a concert sitting down, then watch one in your living room!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, DaysBetween, DeadHead420, PsychicPyramid
mandala
Junior Boarder
jerry junkie

#27572 2 years, 10 months ago
since i was blessed to be working on the fillmore east sound crew back in the day, i got to meet and hang out with the entire original band. garcia actually smoked me out before my first show. then i was blessed to spend a couple of hours with him hanging out online to see "close encounters of the third kind". that was totally mindboggling (plus i already had plans to go see the gd movie again that night). phil once cut me off driving west on 2nd street in san rafael, and when i honked my horn in protest (before i realized who it was), he gestured for me to pull off to the side of the road if i wanted to duke it out with him. i declined. then, years later, when i had young children and had scored backstage passes at the frost so i could use those bathrooms, phil saw me with my son in arms (right after he became a father himself) and gave me a huge smile and thumbs up. i had the weird pleasure to go to traffic school with bobby one saturday morning in sausalito in the '80's. and i had a locker right next to mickey's at bob fuller's gym in san rafael, and would run into him there occasionally. no contact with keith, donna, brent or vince however...
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - j. lennon
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by mandala.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor, jenbrightsky
Mosaic Man
Junior Boarder

#27583 2 years, 10 months ago
mandala wrote:
since i was blessed to be working on the fillmore east sound crew back in the day, i got to meet and hang out with the entire original band. garcia actually smoked me out before my first show. then i was blessed to spend a couple of hours with him hanging out online to see "close encounters of the third kind". that was totally mindboggling (plus i already had plans to go see the gd movie again that night). phil once cut me off driving west on 2nd street in san rafael, and when i honked my horn in protest (before i realized who it was), he gestured for me to pull off to the side of the road if i wanted to duke it out with him. i declined. then, years later, when i had young children and had scored backstage passes at the frost so i could use those bathrooms, phil saw me with my son in arms (right after he became a father himself) and gave me a huge smile and thumbs up. i had the weird pleasure to go to traffic school with bobby one saturday morning in sausalito in the '80's. and i had a locker right next to mickey's at bob fuller's gym in san rafael, and would run into him there occasionally. no contact with keith, donna, brent or vince however...

Too cool man! Jerry smoked you up before your 1st show, fucking legendary! Working at the fillmore East must've been a dream... Only wish I could have been around in those daze...
mandala
Junior Boarder
jerry junkie

#27610 2 years, 10 months ago
>>>Working at the fillmore East must've been a dream...

you bet! and i've never quite woken up from it... ;-}
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - j. lennon
mrh
Junior Boarder

#27643 2 years, 10 months ago
OK, here’s my GD encounter story. It’s kind of long, but you might find it interesting.

Back in 1978, The GD did a short California tour. One stop was in Santa Barbara, where I was going to college at the time. It was a benefit show at the Arlington Theater, which is a beautiful old 1800 seat place used for everything from symphony performances to movies. I was really excited to see the boys in such an intimate setting. I had front row center balcony seats, absolutely perfect for sound and viewing. The lights go down, the band comes out, kicks into Half-Step and I’m in heaven. Then Jerry steps to the microphone and…he doesn’t so much sing as CROAKS. He has awful laryngitis. Anyway, the show turned out to still be pretty good with Bobby handling more than his normal share of the vocals.

After the show ended, I kind of hung around to let the crowd get out before heading to my car. I was parked a couple of blocks behind the theater, so after leaving through the front door, I swung around the side and headed toward the back of the theater building. By now, most all the concertgoers had left and it was pretty quiet.

At the rear of the theater, I noticed a small group of fans, maybe a dozen, standing to the right of the back doors, watching and waiting to see who would come out. Every once in a while the doors would open and you could see the crew buzzing around breaking down the band’s equipment. At one point, Bill Graham came out, bowl of food in hand, and chatted with the fans while he ate.

Now, all this time, I’m standing alone to the left side of the back doors. Nobody else there but me. Also to the left of the doors was a limo. It was pointed away from the back doors with the engine running, but nobody inside, not even the driver. I figured that obviously somebody was gonna be taking that limo soon, so I decided to wait around and see.

Sure enough, a few minutes later, the back door swings open and out flies Jerry. He heads straight for the limo’s back, driver side door. I’m standing right next to the back, passenger side door. I have only a split second, so I say “How’s your throat, Jerry?” “Fucked up!” he replies and hops in the back seat.

Then this weird thing happened. Suddenly, just to my right, someone opens the limo door and jumps in next to Jerry. The door’s open so I can see everything. It’s this little, extremely thin woman. Honestly, I’m guessing by the way she looked she was probably a speed freak. Very skinny, very unhealthy looking. And she’s very animated, talking a mile a minute, just inches from Jerry’s face. Jerry, for his part, seemed to handle it pretty well. He reacted with this little startled jump, then his eyes got kind of big. She was on some big rant, right in Jerry’s face. Jerry just kept nodding.

Then, all of a sudden, directly to my right again, these two beefy arms came out of nowhere, reached into the open limo door and in one quick motion, WHOOSH, the woman was pulled out the door. The limo driver jumped in behind the wheel and Jerry was gone. The whole thing with the woman only took probably ten or fifteen seconds.

Next, the back doors of the theater open and out steps Bobby with a beautiful young blonde on his arm. He immediately turns right, between the back wall of the theater and the bands equipment semi, and heads for the near-empty parking lot. Being the stalker that I was, I followed him on the other side of the semi-trailer, meeting him at the far end. Now, I was a 19-year-old college student at the time, fully into my deadheadedness, so I was pretty starstruck. I wasn’t sure what to say, so I asked Bobby about his new solo album that was just about to be released (Heaven Help the Fool). I don’t remember much else about what we talked about, but I do remember that Bobby was a perfect gentleman and waited until I was done, then shook my hand and off he (and the blonde) went.

As I said, this was a short California tour and apparently Bobby was driving his own Corvette between shows. I watched as he and the blonde hopped into his car and then headed toward the parking lot exit and my car. Just as I reached the street, I heard a car horn behind me. When I turned, it was Bobby honking and waving at me as he pulled out.

When I got back to my dorm, after what had been an eventful night, the thing I couldn’t shake was this uneasy feeling about Jerry and the woman. I mean, this woman was kind of scary. She jumps in practically on top of Jerry and acts like a maniac. What a jolt it must have been to Jerry’s nervous system. It got me thinking, this kind of thing probably happens to Jerry a lot and it must have a cumulative effect on him. It couldn’t be good.

Anyway, it left me a little uneasy. And now, all these years later, I can’t help but wonder if all the strangeness and crazy people and intense adoration that I only witnessed ten seconds of, but Jerry got every day of his life, helped lead to the isolation and drug use he experienced in the years that followed.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by mrh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jenbrightsky, BEW
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#27733 2 years, 10 months ago
i met mickey hart in a hotel elevator i was getting on he was getting off

also met JK several times in venues, after shows, on lot before shows..

met rock scully once as well, it was pretty interesting
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
icecremekid
Junior Boarder

#27843 2 years, 10 months ago
I had a couple of encounters on Jam cruise this year, Weir gave me an the missus a big wave and hello while we were chillin' in a booth after the Scaring the Children theatre show and I had a very funny/awkward "bathroom encounter" with Billy K a couple of nights later!

These aren't Dead but very close to it:

I did a Dead radio show in Australia for 5 years and became friends with Sam Cutler after he released his book and came on the show a couple of times, I also MC'd a book launch/ reading for him.

I have hung out with Peter Rowan in Australia on his last two tours, driving him down the Victorian coast to a folk fest and driving him around Melbourne for a while too.
Time to create page: 1.19 seconds